Coq au Pere (cocoa pear)

I like giving food as presents. People seem to appreciate it, and they eat it, which is nice. I can do it again next year. In fact, I make a variety of baked goods and fill multitudes of tins every Christmas. I once asked if I was being redundant and was told, no. Everyone would be disappointed if I stopped.

I sent my father a box of two kinds of baked goods. One was a coconut bar. The other is a coq au pere. I asked him to name it in order to keep it from being called the-thing-I-made-Dad-for-his-birthday.
This one is a keeper. It needed a name.

First, take a couple of small pears and cut them into slices about 1/4" thick. No need to peel or core, but do take the seeds out.

In a saucepan, heat until boiling:
3/4 c sugar
2 T corn syrup
2 c water

Add pear slices. Cook down until the pear slices are translucent and the syrup is thick. This may take an hour, but keep checking. (If the pears are not quite clear, but almost, you can finish them off in the oven.)

When ready, pull them out with tongs and put them on a cookie sheet or a plate to cool. Refrigerate. When thoroughly cold, dip half of each slice in coating chocolate. Chill.

Coating chocolate
1 cup chocolate chips (use good ones, or chop 6 oz. nice chocolate)
2 T shortening.

Melt in the microwave. Stir to mix, until smooth. If it's too thick and barely mixing, you can heat it a little more.
This is more than you will need, but it keeps well, either in the fridge or at room temp. Reheat gently to use.





Comments