I used to have an enameling studio. When I was younger, I did arts festivals, and sold things in local galleries. I began with jewelry, then began wanting to work bigger. At first, I added little dishes and also, switch plates and cabinet knobs for houses. My work soon grew to clocks, fountains and wall pieces, and I bought a heavy duty kiln. It was no bigger than my small portable kiln, but could handle heavy objects without losing too much heat.

Over the years, I accumulated many enamels and other assorted chemicals. Some were one time purchases, needed only for a custom project. Others were bought repeatedly, some in large amounts.

When we opened our coffeehouse in 1997, I no longer had the time or the creative energy for it, but I still managed to do some occasionally. When we moved in 2007, I packed it up neatly in many boxes and storage containers, and never looked back until now. We are setting up a small studio in a trailer which came with the farmhouse we bought.

And I realize that I didn't label things. I just knew what they were, at least at the time. Also, some were associated with where I kept them. So it's been interesting to look at bags and jars full of powders, and then suddenly have the memory shoot back. This one is kiln wash. That one is liquid counter enamel. I hope.

I unpacked a few things, but I don't have shelves yet, or a pegboard, and it's a random mix of stuff, gathered over many years. I also need a light over my workspace, but it's a start.

Then I came back and rolled out a pie crust.

Thanksgiving is in two days, and many, many Americans will bake deep, golden brown pecan pies, in crusts as brown as the pecans. Crusts aren't supposed to be that dark, but the problem is, the cooking time on a pecan pie is longer than that of a shortcrust pastry.

My solution is to make the crust in advance and freeze it, so I did it this afternoon, when I came back from the soon-to-be studio.

I like to sprinkle chocolate chips on the crust before adding the filling. I also put bourbon in the filling, but it is strictly optional.

(Bourbon chocolate chip) pecan pie

375˚, 35-40 min. It is done when the center is still jiggly, but doesn't move like there are waves under the surface.

3 eggs

1 cup brown sugar

1 c corn syrup

1/4 cup melted butter

1t vanilla

1 heaping cup pecans

(1/2 cup chocolate chips

3 T bourbon)

Comments