Twisted Schedule

I think the weirdest thing about my new job is the hours. I have the morning off, and work until 8 pm.


I baked for many years. I am used to working in the early part of the day, then getting off by three. My leisure time was always in the evening. I’m most productive when I first wake up.


So I find myself doing things like housework or writing, because morning isn’t playtime. I’m not doing artwork right now, because my studio is in an unheated outbuilding. I find it awkward to have leisure time in the morning, but this is the time that I have for play and pleasure reading, and I need to remember that.


I did that for many years, when I was younger and worked the hot line in restaurants, but young people are geared to being up late and sleeping in. I remember getting off at 1 am and going out afterwards, then sleeping until 11. I am no longer 20.


So anyway, after vacuuming, I played a game of Wii pool. It’s an adjustment, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Keeps me from getting old and set in my ways.


And now, a recipe from my early days.


Granola


Pour 3 cups of rolled oats into a pan and bake for 2-4 minutes at 400˚. Turn oven down to 250˚ Mix 1/4 c honey and 1/4 c vegetable oil, and coat the hot oats. You can also add cinnamon or any other flavorings, and nuts, if they aren't already cooked. They're optional.


Cook ten minutes. Loosen occasionally with a spatula while cooking. Loosen when it first comes out of the oven. Add raisins or other dried fruits if desired, or any already cooked nuts.


Can't believe I remembered that.

Comments