the egghead

I decided to do a flourless torte for dessert at the seder. Since I needed to melt the chocolate in a double boiler, it made sense to boil the eggs at the same time. Having worked in restaurants, it is natural to boil eggs, crack them into a bowl of ice water and peel them. If you have to peel massive amounts of eggs, you don't want the shells to put up a fight.

We always had the eggs on the table still in the shells. When we reached the part of the seder with the eggs, everyone peeled their own, getting bits of shell everywhere. I thought maybe there was a reason for this, so I called my parents. Neither had any idea why you couldn't peel them in advance. I can't believe it took me this many years to make this move.

I don't have special china, because I use the good china I inherited regularly. I can't see hiding it. So it leaves the table settings open to deviation.

I'm going with an egghead theme.

Comments