More rain

We had rapids in the road this morning. We watched them from a neighbor's front yard. We could only reach three other houses, even on foot, and we spoke to the people in all of them. We're all dealing with roof leaks. I've got water spots on the ceiling in two rooms, and I think the utility room ceiling needs to be replaced. Also, we are going to have to put the driveway back together, but it does look driveable. I thought we lost the bridge over the ravine, but it looks like we can muddle through until we can get more gravel dumped. Otherwise, our cars would be trapped. One of our neighbors offered to let us drive through his yard to use his driveway, but I think only our truck would make it through the small ditch between our yards. The logs lining the bridge are somewhere down the road, and we have a railroad tie that must have come from someone else's bridge.

Considering that some areas were completely flooded and that people had to be evacuated by boat, I think we did fine.

The ground is really soft, the floors in the slab built part of the house (the newer part) are damp and the door isn't fitting right, but the frogs are happy and it has finally stopped raining.

They are calling it the flood of the century. Considering we're only 10 years into the century, that doesn't mean much. Or maybe it's the biggest since 1910? Do we lose that distinction if we have a larger flood before 2109? EIther way, I suspect this will be the event that middle Tennessee rainfall will be measured against for a long time.

I've gone through a hurricane (several, but only one really direct hit), and the aftermath is a mess. That time, we had no power or running water for nine days. This time, we have both, and lots of groceries, especially hot dogs, potato salad and cole slaw. We had a cookout and bonfire planned.

But no, that did not cause the storm. This is absolutely not my fault.

I make good cole slaw. This is big recipe. I recommend halving it. I cut the cabbage by hand. Take a quarter head, cut off the core and then slice thinly with a good chef knife. The cup of combined carrot, onion and bell pepper is something I pulse in the food processor, but it can be grated or finely chopped.
Whisk the dressing ingredients together. I usually make the dressing first in a bowl big enough to toss it all in. Saves washing an extra bowl.


Cole Slaw

6 c shredded cabbage

2c shredded carrot, onion, bell pepper (combined)


2/3 c mayo

2T vinegar

4 t sugar

1 t salt

1 t celery seed

Stir dressing until sugar dissolves. Toss with veggies.


Comments