It's only dark for now

That skinny little low part of the house is my living room. It used to be a carport. The section on the left was added later, leaving the poor little living room as an interior room. The only natural light comes through the glass door, and there are no windows that open. Since I don't like air-conditioning except in extreme heat, this drives me crazy.

The roof leaked during the storm that brought the May floods, and the low roof got it the worst. Fortunately, it only actually leaked through in the utility room, which sits behind the living room, but I have water stains on the ceilings of 3 other rooms. An insurance adjuster looked at it and said it was built wrong, that even if we fixed it, the low roof would leak again in a few years. So we are changing the roofline. Insurance is only picking up about half of it, but it will be nicer when it's done.

The roof on the left is being extended over the low part to meet the roof on the right. The whole thing will be galvanized metal, which lasts about 60 years. This also means a good portion of the cement patio will be roofed. We intend to screen this in, allowing us to open the door on nice days for air. We looked into getting a screened door for that room, but it's an odd sized door, and they don't make them.

So for now, the glass doors have moved under a roof, making the room rather dark. When all is finished, there will be a skylight. The living room will still be the size of a parking space, but it will be a much more pleasant one.

Meanwhile, all the construction guys clomping around are driving my poor dog nuts. I hope she doesn't freak out and bite one of them.

I seem to have hit a writers block. I have no creative ideas at all, except in the kitchen. I am trying to use up cucumbers, which is a lot more challenging than using up zucchini. I did some pickles this morning, but I'm not doing massive amounts and giving them away because only Kendra and my parents ever give the jars back. I'm tired of buying jars every year. It's not like these other people are canning.
I also did a cucumber and tomato salad, because I have lots of tomatoes, and I bought yogurt to make cucumber soup. But the edgiest thing I did was candied cucumber slices. I like doing glaceed fruits, so why not? I threw a small cayenne pepper in the pot, looking for hot and sweet, but it didn't spice anything. Next time, I'll either cut the pod or use ground cayenne.

So I can come up with weird things to do with cucumbers, but no creativity in the writing dept. I hope it's like my living room: dark for now, but brighter in the end.

Comments