Boost my Bio 2018

Heads up. This is for a YA novel I didn't submit. It wasn't ready.
This is what Fido would have looked like new. I never saw him new. The real story is that my husband and I ended up in a temporary situation with no transportation, and I bought an old car  in a bank parking lot for $2400 from an Ethiopian who was leaving the country. We went into the bank to get cash, used their notary to sign over the title, stuck a plate from a dead car on it, and I ended up driving it for years. Despite the quirks, it was a great car.
All it lacked was a portal. After all, life has limits. Fiction doesn't.


Teen activist Ramona Winters never dreamed she’d spark a labor revolution by posting a fake-news homework assignment.

Seventeen-year-old Ramona is not a real activist. At least, she doesn't think so. She's never made any difference that she can tell. But when her boyfriend takes up with her BFF, she buries her hurt in social causes, putting labor rights first and herself last. She is eating lunch in her ancient Mazda to avoid her turncoat friends when Flew, a confused boy who owns her car far in the future, appears in the drivers seat. Trying to help him get home, she lands in his time, thirty one years after her beloved labor revolution.




It’s a disaster. The post revolution world is a racist police state run by Mexican drug lords, where ethnic blue-eyed blonds are a maligned minority and her new friend is on the run. And while being a fugitive is far off her bucket list, she’s great at it, driving the old Mazda through high speed chases and learning to work the portal she never knew about. With an uprising brewing, she can really make a difference in the lives of her new friends. That is, until she learns the blueprint for the first revolution came from a fake-news post she created with her boyfriend as a homework assignment.

She’s loving being a hero, but deep down, she knows the best way for her to undo the damage and plant the seeds of the newest revolution is from home, thirty four years away. She just needs to get there before the law catches up with them.



A CAR NAMED FIDO, a YA sci-fi/ fantasy, isn't only a pile of chase scenes. Ramona, Flew and their friends eat crab cakes, go dancing, spray paint a car in a time zone twenty years ago, see a movie, fall in love. Because even while people are facing adversity, they never stop being people.

As for me, I'm a pastry chef. I live in the hills outside Nashville, TN. with my husband, an odd but wonderful dog and a passel of colorful chickens. I also do enamel work under the name Kickglass Enamels. This is my first YA story. No matter what I wrote in the past, I got feedback that I sounded like I was writing YA. Even my college papers sounded like YA. If I could give a recipe a YA voice, I probably would. My website is here. http://davidthecat.wixsite.com/nfortmeyer

Comments