We took the dog back to the nature park. It's nice to have time to hike. She likes it, although she was a bit put off by having to stay inside until we were ready to go, rather than running with her dog friends. In fact, she was getting so annoying, whining and pawing the door, that I ate breakfast on the bedroom floor so I could shut the door.
The weather is still densely overcast, but in the woods, it intensified the colors, especially the blue-greens of the mosses.

I did my usual filling of the dehydrator when we got back. The pears are getting soft, which makes them harder to handle. You need fruit with a firm core to use a crank peeler. I also made a batch of pear chutney. Really, I had been trying to make pickles when I first did this. It's delicious, but really kind of sweet for a pickle. I chop the fruit instead of slicing it, and it makes a nice chutney.
It used up the last of my canning jars.

Pear Chutney

2 pints


1 c sugar

1/2 c water

1/2 c vinegar

1 t whole cloves

2 cinnamon sticks

1/4 t ground ginger

1 T lemon juice

6 medium pears, peeled, chopped small


In a large saucepan, combine everything except the pears. Bring to a boil. Add pears. SImmer ten minutes, covered. Seal in canning jars or refrigerate.

Comments