The Ka-ching in the night

I used to have two kilns. Actually, I had three, if you count the little hot-plate kiln my dad got me for Hanukah when I was in fifth or sixth grade. I didn't really use that one then, but I used it as an adult to make a series of swirled butterfly necklaces. It died on the move to TN.

The other two were the same size as each other. One was a lightweight, fiber-walled kiln with the elements embedded in the walls. It heated quickly (about 15 minutes) and was good for small lightweight pieces. Heavy pieces drew too much heat out of the kiln, leaving me with really long firing times and warpage issues on items like switch plates and clocks, so I mostly used the heavier, more serious kiln. But I kept the other around. It was good when I wanted to work on a few small items. I didn't mind firing it up to add dates and dedications to the backs of Christmas ornaments, and it was great to have if someone ordered a pair of cabinet knobs.

At least until it died of old age last year. I've been enameling a long time.

So know I have only the SERIOUS KILN. It takes nearly an hour (and no telling how much power) to reach temperature. So when I get small orders, I try to hold off working on them until I get more. Except this is a slow time of year.

I had this order for two cabinet knobs. The person added another to the order, but still, I was going to spend more time heating the kiln than enameling. I waited. Then I started to feel guilty. This person had already paid. So yesterday evening, I fired up the kiln and did three knobs.

And slept guilt-free, at least until I was awakened by the Ka-ching on my phone. The esty app. The one that goes off when you get a sale.

Comments

  1. I have loved your work for many years. I hope that you are able to replace your older kiln.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a couple of minutes to get the punch line. That was a funny one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment