Went to a BMI showcase last night. Basically, it was a 3 band gig at a club, but since BMI sponsored it, it was free to get in. We got invited by a member of one of the bands, but it seemed to be open to anyone.
The first was a typical southern rock act. Not very exciting, predictable songs. The second act was a band from LA, kind of alternative. Fun. The third (which is the one where Kurt knew the headliner) was worth the whole evening. He's written a a lot of songs that have been recorded by country artists. I don't like country much, but I like hearing the writers do their own work, and the band rocked.

Continuing on with things to do with too many pears. I made pear butter one day. It used up lots of pears, and it tastes good. Pear or apple butter is not nearly as sweet as jam. I filled a crock pot, and only added 3/4 cup sugar. I also put in 1 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/2 t cloves and 1/2 t allspice.

To make pears into pear butter, peel and core pears. Chop, and put into a food processor. Dump it in a crock pot, or just use a large pot on the stove. I used about 20 pears. Mine are mostly smaller than what you find in the grocery store. If needed, add enough water so that the pears will puree. You are going to cook the water back out, so just add enough to make the pears into something smooth and stirrable. If you can puree the pears without added water, leave it out. Stir in sugar and spices. Then cook on a low heat for hours and hours, stirring occasionally.

I think my crock pot might be dying. It's brown and gold, definite 70s colors. Anyway, you want to cook it to about 1/2 the original volume. It was taking too long in my crock pot, so I put half of it in a glass baking dish and baked it on a low temperature. This works well, as long as you don't get it so hot that the top cooks.

Comments