Eating and typing


Hello, and welcome to my Austrian follower. I have been to Salzburg once, when I was twenty. It's a beautiful place.
I looked for you on Nano, but I'm not sure who I'm looking for.

I went to a write-in on Saturday, at the Opryland Hotel. It's a fantastic hotel. We were in a section called the Delta, on a terrace overlooking a fountain and waterfall. There is an river, and tropical trees, and all these little shops and restaurants under a glass roof. Nice environment.

A lot of people on the nano boards talked about getting ready by stocking up on chocolate and fun coffee drinks. It's cute, but I didn't realize how serious people are about this. Several of the nano writers there had to go look for coffee immediately, and someone bought a bag of Hershey kisses to share, which was nice of her, since everything is outrageously priced in the hotel.

When I mentioned I don't eat and type at the same time, it became a joke of not being able to do two things at once, and I let it. I also don't drive and eat. Admittedly, I did not grow up typing conversations, and I don't type as naturally as the younger crowd, but really, it's that when people eat and multi-task, they overeat. Since the people I was having this discussion with were overweight, I left it as being a coordination issue we could all laugh off.

When people eat, they are looking for two things: enjoyment and nourishment. When you eat while you are doing something else, such as driving or writing, you can't pay full attention to the food, so there is a tendency to want to keep eating, even though you are full. You've gotten the nourishment, but you didn't get the satisfaction because you weren't paying attention.

Not to say that I don't ever read or watch the news while eating, but I never read a gripping book with a sandwich in my hand. First one, then the other.

We went for a four mile hike yesterday. The weather has been gorgeous. The leaves are gone, but it is still warm. I think it's getting ready to change. We got home, and I used the pear cobbler filling I had put in the freezer to make a quick crisp. There is a monthly covered dish/ songwriter party we go to. I'm not a big country music fan, but I like listening to the songwriters do their own songs with just a guitar, and the other musicians joining in. Plus, it's social.

I've got wheat bread rising, and some of the last pears cooking down into candied pears for chocolate dipping (part of my Christmas tins this year), the dog sleeping on the living room and a blanket of gray covering the sky.

All is well.

Comments

  1. Hi there, a nice 'write-in'! When I'm writing I usually try to be by myself, except for moving to a café with sufficient space in between tables, and lately I actually quit having chocolate while typing. Strong espresso is nice, no additives like caramel or any alcoholic shots.
    Multi-tasking is a myth; the only people really capable of that seem to be mothers taking care of small kids while doing something entirelly different. As a driver I sometimes have a bite to eat on an empty run, but it's a stress thing and adding to the stress. Back to work here, had to add a figure to my blogger's nick: wemo59

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment