Brrr.

We moved the cayenne pepper plant inside a few weeks ago. Adds a nice touch of color.

I'm not a fat American, but I worry about becoming one. I think we are a culture that sits too much. We spend lots of time driving, and most of our leisure time is spent sitting too, especially in freezing weather.

I never worried about sitting on my down time as long as I was working, because I worked standing and moving around. Sitting on the couch and reading, or using a computer or watching TV or lazing around the yard was an appropriate end to the work day. My body was tired, and it was a welcome relief.

Nearly all of America sits at work, especially the ones that are better paid. It seems like there would be a better way to do things. Why should people sacrifice being in shape in order to make a living?

I have been working on the selection of baked goods that I will be giving as presents. Most of what I do would be high dollar if I wasn't the one doing them. This isn't just giving out chocolate chip cookies for Christmas, although I never object to being on the receiving end of that tradition. But I try to make these special.
So far, my selection will be gingerbread people, bourbon truffles, marzipans (made to look like oranges), chocolate chip coconut bars, almond crescents, coc au peres and fudge.

I began making fudge when the children were younger, because it was something they could do. My younger daughter usually took care of making it. It's really the only thing in my list that's a junk food. I'm not sure why I continue it. Tradition, I suppose. I don't usually consider mixing a bunch of pre-made stuff to be baking, but then, I don't milk cows or grow cocoa beans. It's all pre-made to some degree.

So here we go, for an intense sugar buzz and easy cooking.

Fudge

1 1/2 lbs.

3/4 c evaporated milk

1/2 c butter, cut into pieces

2 c sugar

1/4 t salt

12 oz. semi sweet choc, chips

2 c mini marshmallows

1 t vanilla

1 c chopped walnuts (optional. I leave it out, because the child who used to make this didn't like walnuts)

In saucepan, heat milk and butter ‘til melted. Add sugar and salt, stirring constantly, until liquid starts to boil. Cook on low heat stirring, for two minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in choc. chips and marshmallows, beating unitl smooth and thick. Stir in vanilla and nuts. Spread into buttered 9” pan. Chill for two hours before cutting.


Comments