Tins, cookies, candles and pies

I always make my mother-in-law 2 pies for Christmas. I used to just do one, but then everyone got bigger. Teenaged boys and young adults go through a lot more dessert than little kids. So for years, one sister-in-law did these ridiculously rich iced brownies and I did a pie. My mother-in-law always kept the leftover pie, because she really likes a good, homemade fruit pie. Then one year, after we all ate dessert, there was none left. It was when the kids were all teenagers, and we all used to bring extra people. In fact, I used to call a few days ahead of time to check, so that even friends, stepkids, and foster children never got left out.

She looked so disappointed that now I make two. It's funny to think how long we have been doing this. I'm sure that when I did the first one, way back when, I had no idea it would become a tradition. But then, you don't plan traditions.
One is blueberry apple. The other is pear.

I gave in and made Hanukah candles for the last night of Hanukah. I've always liked seeing the whole thing lit.

Things are winding down towards Christmas. To me, the whole thing is about seeing family.
One daughter comes home tonight, and I'm very excited.

Got my tins done today. I had everything stored in a trailer which is on our land, the same one I'm where I have my studio.
There is no heat on, and it's cold over there. On the other hand, the fridge over there doesn't work, and with the winter weather, I've used it as a baked goods storage space anyway. I don't like to leave things out, because of rodents.
So it was really cold getting them all together, but there they are. Each has chocolate chip coconut bars, bourbon truffles, marzipans, chocolate dipped candied pears, almond crescents, fudge and either a gingerbread person or gingerbread stars, depending on the generation. The adults also got a little jar of pear butter or lemon-honeysuckle jelly.

There is a monthly songwriter pot luck that we go to. This month's was yesterday. The beginning part is social, and then songwriters settle in the different rooms and take turns playing their songs.They usually back each other up, and do musical breaks for each other. Musicians are what make Nashville special. I'm not all that into country music, but I love hearing songwriters perform their own work.

I'm not a singer, but I sang back-up on this one, just because I know the word. (I'm also one of the back-up singers here.)

Comments