Fido, the '94 Mazda

My car is missing a part. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

It had been going crazy for a while, idling at 2000 RPMs, and speeding up on its own. I wasn't especially worried about the speeding up part, because I could always put the clutch down and idle really fast. It's not like driving an automatic, where you might plow into somebody.

Nonetheless, I knew I was wasting gas and probably killing the brakes, so I took it to a repair shop.

The broken part regulates the idle, and costs $400.00. That's just for the part, and there isn't one anywhere in town. So they removed the part, set the idle up a bit and charged me $35.00.

At least Gannon's is not out to rip off anyone. But I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing. There's only so many repairs you can do to a '94 Mazda before you've got more money in repairs than the worth of the car.

It still runs. It played a major role in my 2007 nano. But it's old enough to get learner's permit.

Much as I hate the process of buying a car, it might be time to bite the bullet and look for a new one.

Comments