The table as common ground

I didn't mean to abandon my blog. It just sort of happened.

I always begin these things with the best of intentions. My original blog http://profiles.yahoo.com/u/SBM5Q2NHEC3PVDZ63P2H6SNHYQ
was on Yahoo 360˚, and was titled Life as Fiction. I needed to practice writing, and I wanted to try blogging, so I journaled my day as though it was fiction, often in the third person. I used the space to try different styles of writing, and my writing skills grew as a result. Still by the time I stopped, it was just a journal.
When Yahoo 360˚ folded, I moved my blog to the site listed above so I could keep it, but I don't like the new site.

When I got laid off last October, I started a new blog. I was relieved in a way. It had been nice to have a steady check and to be management, but I hated the commute, the inner company petty politics and most of all, what it was doing to me.
I slowed down and let myself do whatever I wanted for a few weeks. I found I did two things (besides try to reorganize the mess my house had become). I wrote and I cooked.

So I started a new blog, and later began double posting to Multiply, so I could keep up with nanowrimo friends. I think I knew, somewhere deep down, that I most likely would not be a pastry chef again. I may be wrong, but I think this was an ending for me. There is a lot of age discrimination in the field. People mistakenly connect creativity with youth, when actually, it is easier to be creative when you have experience to draw from.
Because I moved, I don't have the connections I had built up in Raleigh, and having been the pastry chef at the Irregardless doesn't mean anything here.
Most of all, the field itself has changed.

And it became okay to start sharing my wealth of cooking knowledge. No need to hoard it. I'm not in competition with anyone, and I really know a lot.
Pastry chefs sometimes make house recipes, but we also travel with our own bag of tricks. As I hand them down to my children, I'm also handing them out.

No recipes today, but I plan to start back. I may not connect with everyone politically and religiously, but hey, we all eat.

Comments