trading places

Switching roles is a bit weird. I don’t especially like it, but I know that a lot of American families are experiencing the same thing.


We moved here for my husband’s songwriting. Most of the people I know here are from the songwriting community and he really enjoys being with people who share his passion. We moved for him.

Me, I wanted the time to not work full time, and to pursue my own arts. He really does want to be the breadwinner. He would like for me to be able to work part time and be the one to take care of the household and our family needs. It just didn’t work out that way. His work is sporadic, mine is full time. So he enjoys the music opportunities, like getting to see Kris Kristofferson for free at the Ryman Auditorium last night, and I support us.


I await my turn and try to accept the situation. It isn’t his fault. This is one of the states with really high unemployment, nearly 11%. So he decided we needed cookies, and asked where my recipes were. He did a good job. They came out great. But I look forward to switching places one day.

The trick to making good cookies is the same as any quick-leavened baked goods (ie. baking soda or baking powder, not yeast.) Beat the fats and sugar together very well. Then beat in the other wet goods. Once the dry goods are in there, fold minimally, just until mixed. This holds true for everything from a delicate sponge cake to a basic cookie.

Most of the recipes in my files have no instructions. They aren’t necessary.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

375˚, 8-10 min. 3 dozen

1 cup butter

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 1/2 t vanilla


3 cups flour

1 t salt

1 t baking soda

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Comments