Animating Writing

Many years ago, I worked a restaurant hot line with a friend from art school. He was a media buff. This was well before the age of the internet. He knew a lot about both TV and movies. We both had young children, and often ended up talking about cartoons.

This was the era of Japanese cartoons. They used large blocks of color and few frames per second. The movements were boxy, and the characters walked as though they were on moving sidewalks. My friend compared them to the early days of animation, when Popeye characters blinked, and their fingers wiggled. We talked about Pinocchio, and how the waves moved, how much went on in the background.

I have thought about this lately, because I am writing suspense. I have never done this before. There are authors that take you from here to there, one clue at a time, methodically. I find it dry. So while I am trying not to waste chapters which don't move the story forward, there are other conflicts in their lives which give the characters depth.

I am making sure that while they move from point A to point B, they don't forget to blink and wiggle their fingers.

Work at the census has gotten convoluted. I have never worked in an office before, and I don't intend to again. The petty politics are absurd. I can't believe people put up with this kind of crap their whole working lives.

And since I am throwing recipes in here, I'll drop a WW bread on you, because it is already in my cut/paste memory. But don't panic. It divides well if you skip the eggs. Divide by 12 for home use.

Wheat bread

350˚, 20 min, high fan 21-23 loaves

24 c warm water

3/4 c yeast

1 1/2 boxes dark brown sugar

24 c ww flour

12 c bread flour

3 eggs

9 T salt

2 1/4 c oil

more bread flour


For the house bread, lay it out on sunflower seeds. For other variations, you don’t need to do that. Glaze.


Comments