Giving up Fido

No, I'm not giving up a dog. Fido was my car. It was old enough to have a drivers license of its own and ran well. Nonetheless, we had to remove the idle control to keep it going. It wasn't going to pass the emissions test again.
Still, it was probably the best bargain I ever bought. It was already old when I got it four years ago it a moment of desperation. My husband's car had developed serious front end issues, and I hit a deer with the pick-up I used to drive. The truck wasn't too heavily damaged; it needed body work and a new radiator, but it got caught in insurance limbo. This took place between Christmas and New Years day. Because the truck was ten years old, it had to get an insurance adjuster's okay before being fixed. The adjuster for my area was out of town, and I couldn't get up with him. So I bought Fido, a 94 Mazda, from an exchange student going back to N. Africa. I fully expected it to be temporary, but it ended up being a great car.

I hope the new one is as good, but I don't think they make cars like they used to. I'll put up a picture of the yet-unnamed Versa next time.

Comments