Morning on the ridge

The picture is from last summer. The trees are budding here.

It was Sadie's idea that I should read the paper on the ridge behind the house. I was perfectly comfortable drinking coffee on the couch. I'd worked both jobs yesterday, so it was nice to have the morning off today. I don't need to be at the census until 11:30.

Kurt has been taking her out on a leash and letting her run free in the woods. She comes back when she is ready, and lets him put her back on the leash. My neighbor-across-the-street"s dogs are her friends and she often wants to run free with them, but in a way, the restrictions seem to make her feel loved.

He wasn't home and the spring morning beckoned through the glass door. And really, who can enjoy a cup of coffee with an antsy dog in the room? So I did what any pushover-dog owner would do. I got dressed, put on hiking boots and climbed a ridge with my dog. One of my neighbor's dogs joined us. I found a good rock to sit on with my paper. I could see the 2 lane highway into the city from my perch, and watched and read, glad I was not one of the people heading to work yet. I had only one letter to the editor left to read when she showed back up and sat down, ready for the leash and the walk home.

Sometimes, dogs have the best ideas.

Comments