Enameling again

I've been trying to do some pieces to start up a shop on etsy. I used to sell enameled pieces at shows and small galleries as a side business, but dropped it when we opened our coffeehouse. It's different this time round, but I still like it.

Change # 1. Bigger work space but not set up. I'm working in a trailer, but none of my bench tools are mounted anywhere. Also, I can't necessarily find everything. My old studio was off the back porch. If I needed a tool that was stored there, I could use it and then return it. Here, things that migrate to the house don't necessarily get put back. I suspect that I will eventually buy doubles of some basic tools.

Change # 2. No working plumbing. My old studio did not have plumbing of its own, but it was about three feet from the back door of the kitchen. Here, if I get splashed with acid, I need to dunk my hand in one of the water baths.

Change # 3. I can't focus up close like I used to. My close focus was starting to go about the time I stopped. I can still read a newspaper without glasses, but for fine work, I need them. I work with a dust mask, and flip it to the top of my head when I'm not sifting glass powders. I'm not used to having glasses up there too. It's a little awkward.

Change # 4. Better music. I quit before the era of iPods and iPod docks.

Change # 5. They don't send copper screws with the copper switch plates anymore. I bought screws and am spray painting them, but it's not the same.

Change # 6. Selling online. This requires far more set up, initially, but less down the road, I hope. RIght now, I'm having to shoot a photo of each piece, and then doctor it so the colors look like they do on the piece. When I did shows, I shot slides to get into juried shows. I didn't need a picture of everything I sold, and I didn't deal with shipping and fees, other than booth fees. Simply took the money, wrapped and bagged the work and handed it to the buyer. I made changes on the spot, if possible. So if someone wanted a cross pendant on a chain instead of a strip of leather, I switched the piece on the spot. After a while I knew what to carry to handle the kinds of requests that came up.

I hope I can make a go of this. I am still employed, but it can't go on much longer. I'm keeping my eye out for a job I want, but I won't take just anything this time. I don't like what office work is doing to my body. I think it's unnatural to sit all day. I also won't work for peanuts. Wages are lousy in Nashville, but my skills are worth something. A lot of businessmen have taken advantage of the lousy economy by not paying people enough, but the cuts need to start at the top, not the bottom.

This is what I've been doing instead of blogging. I think I am happiest doing artwork.

Comments