A new beginning


New generation, new quilt. My oldest nephew became a Dad a few weeks after my youngest cousin did. They live in NC. My older daughter went to the hospital for the birth. I haven't met the baby boy yet.

In other news, Killer Nashville was awesome. I'm not a mystery writer, but I still picked up a lot of writing info. It was also a lot of fun. I paid for Friday, but volunteered and attended all three days. Even with the days I didn't pay, I was able to attend several workshops. By volunteering, I not only saved a bit of money, but I talked to many, many people, all of them friendly. Very congenial atmosphere.

The amusing downside of that is that people expected me to know way more than I did. Just because I registered people and directed them where to go does not mean I know about the publishing industry, or even knew about all the presenters. I did try to answer questions the best I can, because this happens to me quite often. People in tourist towns ask me for directions, or where to find attractions, even though I'm a tourist too. Shoppers ask me where things are in stores. Apparently, I look like I belong.

This was the first time people asked me for business cards though. I'm far less advanced in the writing field than most of the people there. If I had business cards, I'm not sure what I'd put on them.

My job ended Thursday. There was a conference call in which my supervisor was instructed to cut three clerks. Since I had already asked for Friday off, I was one of them. The few left will only have another week or two. This gig lasted much longer than I expected when I took the job at the end of December. Meanwhile, the list of things I have been putting off has been growing exponentially.

So it's an ending, but office work isn't for me. My younger daughter is coming home tonight. Tomorrow, I begin whatever comes next..


Comments