Dept of Labor update

I may have finally gotten straight with the unemployment people. I won't know until next week. This has been very frustrating. What happened is that the person who put my initial claim through did it wrong, so it went through without my federal government wages. A benefit amount based on about half my wages was issued. I filed a wage protest, filed an appeal, called numerous times, each of which involved at least an hour on hold, and faxed my pay stubs, all to no avail. I finally spoke with somebody at the appeals office today, who told me that my benefit statement had been issued.

"Exactly," I said. "And it's wrong, but since it's been issued, I can't seem to get it changed." She transferred me to another number where I left my name and info on a machine.

Miracle of miracles, a person called me back about an hour later. She completely understood what was going on. Having "already been issued" seems to have stuck my claim in a netherworld. She said that the federal claims person was out of the office, but would call me tomorrow.

Actually, she called about a half hour later. She told me it was late in the afternoon, but tomorrow morning, my census wages would be added to my claim. I should receive a new notice of benefits and a check for the difference next week. I've only gotten two checks, so the difference won't be huge, but it's a good step forward.

I guess I'll have to wait and see, but I finally feel like it has gotten unstuck. Also, both people from that office were happy and bubbly, which was nice.

I did a small baking job today: three loaves of banana bread and five dozen cookies, half chocolate chip and half oatmeal raisin. My recipes make more cookies than that, so now I have extra cookies. Having done it for a living, I'm a fast baker, but it takes long to do things at home because I have one oven, and it has one shelf. I got some other things done while things were in the oven. It would be a good home business to have, if baked goods weren't so heavy. I could probably give most mail order bakers a run for their money, but the shipping is almost as high as the cost of the product. My husband delivered this one. He and the recipient both needed to be in the downtown area around 6, so they arranged to meet in the Comfort Inn parking lot.

The Dept of Labor wants me to go to some sort of rejobbing meeting on Tuesday. I think they can steer me to info on starting a home based business.

Comments