Bonfire

Perhaps some of you recall that we had planned a bonfire and cookout for our 25th wedding anniversary back in May. It was the day Nashville flooded. We had rapids in the road. Five months later, we finally had the bonfire. We did it on shorter notice this time so that we had a weather report. It wasn't as big as the other one was going to be, maybe 20 people, but we all had a good time. Kurt cooked a pot of chicken gumbo, I did black beans and rice in case we had vegetarians show up, and people brought food too. The night was chilly and clear, perfect for a fire. The couple on the left in the picture lives next door. She lived in this house 30 years ago, and never really came over and saw the addition, even though it was her cousin that was living here and added on. I gave her a tour and she told me how it used to be laid out. She liked what we did with the house, especially my kitchen. Apparently, she painted her cabinets too.

The food was good, the company was good, and since it was Nashville, the songwriters took turns doing songs and playing guitars. Our neighbor, who works at a local stable and western show sort of place, brought Cowboy wood. It's copper pipe with a piece of garden hose stuffed inside. When you put it in the fire, it blazes green and blue. My guess is that burning hose is not very good for the environment, but I don't know these neighbors very well, so I didn't mention that. And it looked very pretty.

So we had a bonfire and didn't flood. Eastern North Carolina did. My apologies to my old friends out in the coastal plains.

Comments