Date night

Kurt and I have been working weird schedules.

When I first read that a Chihuly glass installation was coming to Nashville, I wanted to go see it. My older daughter was visiting, but it hadn't opened yet. I was working at the Census and Kurt was barely working any hours at all. When I came home, I just wanted to be home, but I knew the job would end eventually because our office would close. We could see the show after that.

Then his work schedule went nuts. Crazy hours, lots of overtime. He was on the road sometimes, and I started a night job. We had no time together, and Chihuly was going to leave, so we reserved a day where we both not work no matter what. That day came yesterday, our date night.

I wore my shirt from Nordstrom. I've never been to a Nordstrom, don't even live in a place that has one, but I have a shirt from there. My mother bought it last year when she was trying to put together an outfit for my nephews' Bar Mitzvah. She bought another shirt too, intending to try both on with the skirts in her closet, then return one. Instead, she gave the alternate to me.

As it happened, the Acorn, which is where I work, had been involved in some sort of fundraiser show at the Cheekwood botanical gardens in the spring, the same site that was hosting the Chihuly show. They had been given a number of passes that were about to expire. When I told the manager about our planned date, she gave me a pair.

We wandered the gardens in the dark, looking at lighted glass sculptures mixed with the foliage and also set in reflecting pools and fountains. It was very creative. If any of his work comes to a park near you, I recommend going.

We went out to dinner at a place where my sister in law had bought us a gift card for our anniversary. We sat in the bar area, where there was a jazz pianist. I wasn't as impressed with the food as I wanted to be because I expect more from an upscale restaurant, but I think I am jaded because I work at one. But it was pleasant sitting next to me sweetie, listening to music. Mostly, it was nice to have an evening that was ours

Trying to come up with an opening scene for my nano. I don't want to open the computer the morning of Nov. 1 and stare at it.

Comments