Shopping Blues

I hate shopping. For practically the entire spring and a good part of the summer, I worked in the daytime and my husband's work hours were short. He did ail the errands and all the grocery shopping. I didn't miss it a bit.

I didn't grow up Christmas shopping. While all the glitz and glitter looks marvelous to a kid on the perpetual outside, the whole notion of the entire nation going shopping at the same time struck me as crazy as soon as I was old enough to drive to the mall and look for a parking space.

So I opted out of the Secret Santa at work. I felt like a bit of a wimp for doing it. I work with a rowdy, excitable crew, and they were having fun drawing names, but the whole thought of adding anyone to my Christmas list scared me. A female would have been fine, but several of the people are guys in their 20s. And what would I get one of the Mexican dishwashers?

When I first got together with my husband, we, along with his siblings, were a bunch of young couples. It was the first time I had to Christmas shop, and it was fun for a year of two. Then it got dumb. One year, his older sister and I got each other pot holders and dish towels.

The very first year that everyone had at least one child, we moved to only giving gifts to the kids. That was great. Buying toys is fun.

I went to buy a few things for my kids yesterday, and had to really psych myself up for a simple trip to Wal-Mart and Lowe's. I hate Wal-Mart for what it has done to so many American small, once thriving downtowns, but I don't live near any full sized stores, and this was the closest one. And where else can you buy both ear buds and dogfood in one trip?

I think I might be a shopping phobe. I don't even like shopping online. I'm not thrilled with large snakes or driving in snow either, but I can handle small spaces, tall heights and don't alphabetize the food in my refrigerator, so I guess I'm doing okay.

Happy rambling.


Comments