tornado sirens

I'm home. Whew.
I opened the front door of the restaurant to leave, right about the time a squall blew up. The outer door nearly leapt out of my hand, and it's a heavy wood and glass affair. The tornado sirens were going off so I went back in, but Tom, the chef, convinced me I'd be fine as long as the tornado was somewhere else. Driving in heavy rain doesn't bother me the way ice does. And the sirens stopped.

I got to the car about the time it began to rain harder. It got really bad when I was about a block away, rain gusting sideways across the road, lanes barely visible. I kept on. I've learned that unless it's hailing, it pays to keep going and drive out of these things. The sirens started up again. I kept going and it did lighten up, but it was pretty wild for a while there.

My dog was very glad to see me. The lights threatened to go out while I was in the shower. Kurt is out playing music. I will feel more comfortable once he's back.

Meanwhile, my older daughter, who is in Americorps, got sidelined by a winter storm. Her crew of 11 is holed up in an inn in the Sierras. They were trying to go from Montana to Sacramento ahead of a winter storm, but it caught up with them. I'm glad she's safe.

There's no place like home.

Comments