Garden update

I shot this before we went to NY. Despite having more open space than I've ever had anywhere else I lived, I still plant in beds. We have two square ones and this long, narrow one. I tried having a country style garden a couple of years ago with lousy results. I know how to grow in beds, having done it for years, and it's easier to compost and maintain a smaller, tightly packed space, at least for me. I don't use chemicals, although we did spray the fruit trees with a fungicide. It's a compromise. Don't like it but the fungus was winning.

The early stuff is peaking and beyond. The broccoli is nearly done, I'm leaving the lettuce in the ground as long as possible, the spinach is done, the dill looks marvelous, cilantro is going to seed soon and the snowpeas are still okay. They don't get full sun except in the late afternoon, which has helped. Also, the weather has mellowed out.

At least until tomorrow.

Comments