The garden and global warming

My canning jars aren't going to get much of a workout this year. I did put up one jar of okra pickles and froze a few bags of skinned roma tomatoes but for the most part, my garden couldn't handle the intense heat, even with daily watering. The heat also invited bugs we've never seen before which decimated my 18 squash plants. I should have ripening pumpkins, acorn and spaghetti squash right now. Instead, I have 2 small hills of zucchini plants that I planted after the squash monsters killed the plants and left. They are starting to bud. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get some zucchini before the first frost.

The things that didn't die are springing to life in the cooler aftermath. And it's raining pears. Most of what I'll be canning is pear related. But anyway, this is what I brought in from the garden, the first in quite a while.

Comments