At long last

I haven't worked for anyone besides myself since June, when the Acorn Restaurant closed its doors. I found one job about a month later, with a catering company. It was a nice set-up, but something about it was a real turn off. I was not the first choice candidate, for one thing. I got called in for an interview several weeks after I applied, after the owner fired the person she did hire. She really talked badly about this person's work. I went in to work for her the next day and realized that she probably never told the previous baker what she wanted. Things had to be done exactly like she wanted even though some of the presentations were atypical. It was like everyone would know how things "should" be done. In fact, she talked badly about other business owners, other caterers, as though she made herself better by putting someone else down. And the food wasn't my style at all. I could make her recipes but I wasn't going to like them.

And she had a bunch of family working for her, which makes for weird dynamics. I called back the next morning and thanked her for offering me the position, but I didn't think the job and I were a good fit.

I continued searching but there was nothing out there. Any resumes I sent out didn't draw responses. I got serious about selling artwork and confections online. I learned about search engine optimization, shipping and presentation. Selling online is very different than going to shows, which I had done when I was younger.

I learned that I can do it. If need be, I can get by on my creativity. Not as well as I like, but I can. I went from being unemployed to being self-employed.

My next move was to put that on my resume. I wasn't unemployed. My current employment is Kickglass Enamels. It worked.

I went for an interview with a catering chef. I'd had lots of time to think about what I wanted in a job and what I didn't. I wanted to respect the menu. I wanted to like the people I spent the day with. I didn't want an arduous commute. In other words, I want to like my life, not just earn money to support the waking hours I have off each day.

I'm a lousy capitalist. Most kitchen people are. There are much easier ways to make a living, but they aren't things we want to live our lives doing.

I didn't hear from him and figured he must have found somebody with a real catering background. Mine is restaurant, which is quite different. This is new turf.

Then he called back, apologized for taking so long. He'd been doing lots of interviews. He wanted me to come back in, cook with him for a few hours. We scheduled it for the following afternoon.

I dressed the part. Black pants, clogs, chef coat, hair braided and hidden beneath a bandana. I brought my knife roll. I'd forgotten what it felt like to present myself as a professional. It reminded me that I am capable.

I met the business owner. I got the kitchen tour. I made some cheddar chive biscuits. I did florentines and rolled them into cones and cylinders. I made mistakes with their ovens, which are kind of wonky. I was able to analyze the mistakes, redo the cookies correctly. The chef worked on other things but was watching to see how I worked, how I asked questions. It seemed positive. I didn't feel pressured or nervous. After all, I had my artwork to fall back on.

He called with an offer this morning, which I accepted. I'm starting on Sunday, making things for a photo shoot in a magazine.

Working for a catering company is new to me. The hours are unpredictable. The customers are the 1%. And it's a tough job market out there. I need to do a good job.

It's been a nice run. I'm ready.

Comments

  1. I love that kitchen photo. This is my favorite post so far as I go back through your blog. One day, when I figure out how to say what I'm thinking, I hope to comment on your post about Memorial Day. I'm enjoying this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment